The history of the Třebíč chateau is inextricably linked with the Benedictine monastery, but it was also created by its reconstruction. Next to it stands one of the monuments of Třebíč, which belongs to the UNESCO World Heritage List, namely the Basilica of St. Procopius. Since 2003, the expositions of the Museum of Vysočina Třebíč have been located in the chateau itself. The castle, the castle park and the courtyard have been very nicely renovated in recent years.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Třebíč (chateau)
The Benedictine monastery was founded in Třebíč as early as 1101, but this original one probably stood in another place, but it is not known. A new monastery was built on a rocky promontory on the left bank of the Jihlava River at the beginning of the 13th century, and a church was built in this period. In this and the next century, the monastery served as an important center of education in the entire region. However, the Hussite wars meant a considerable decline for him, and although it was built as a fortress, he failed to resist the attack of Hungarian troops in 1468. The monastery was then severely damaged and the church burned down. Then the monastery fell into secular hands, the last monks were expelled from there in 1525. The monastery was rebuilt into a Renaissance castle and passed through the hands of several owners. Its appearance was greatly influenced by the Osovský family, whose representatives extensively rebuilt the former monastery and used the dilapidated church as a farm.
In the first half of the 17th century, the chateau and heritage fell into the hands of the Wallensteins, which clearly benefited him. In 1724, Jan Josef of Valdštejn decided on a demanding reconstruction of the damaged basilica and thus saved it from destruction. The Wallensteins were the owners of this estate until 1945, when their property was confiscated by the state.
The museum in the chateau currently presents four expositions - The World of Inanimate Nature, The World of Portals and Gates, The Wallensteins in Třebíč and People, Places, Fates. It is open every day except Monday, in July and August and on Mondays. You can see the courtyard and the park at any time.
Author: Martina Limbergová