Jesuit Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary Brno
The Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Brno is better colloquially known as the "Jesuit Church." It is located in the center of Brno, just a few meters east of the church of St. Jakub, and it is one of the first Baroque buildings in Brno. The construction of the Jesuit Church began in 1578 and was part of the Jesuit college, which was demolished in the early 20th century. The Jesuit dormitories were once entered through a beautiful Baroque gate, which can still be found at the church on Beethoven Street.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Jesuit Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary Brno
Among Brňáky, in addition to the name Jesuit Church, you can also find the church "U Jesuitů", probably due to the fact that the Churches of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary can be found in Brno in Zábrdovice and the other on Mendel Square in Masaryk's district.
The complex of former Jesuit dormitories in Brno was originally very large and filled the space between today's Roosevelt, Dvořáková, Kozí and Jezuitská streets. The Jesuit Church is the only building that has survived to the present day.
Extensive construction activity of the Jesuits in Brno began in 1593, and due to the construction of the local Jesuit dormitory, a number of poorer burgher houses and the torso of the Augustinian monastery fell. The construction of the Jesuit Church took place between 1598 and 1602, it was dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and between 1605 and 1607 the tomb of the Dietrichsteins was built in its premises. The construction work was completed in 1631, with the proviso that in the years 1619 - 1621 they had to be interrupted due to the expulsion of the Jesuits from Brno. A total of 21 houses fell victim to the Jesuit complex, which was the largest in the city of Brno.
In the second half of the 17th century, however, construction work continued and the monastery was extended by the chapel of St. František Xaverský. During the first half of the 18th century, a bell floor was added to the tower, and at the end of the 18th century, the building was used as a barracks.
As part of the redevelopment of Brno in 1904, when all Jesuit buildings had to be demolished, the Jesuit college was demolished, with the exception of the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová