Hospital in Velké Meziříčí
Hospital Church of St. Kříže was part of the city hospital from the 14th century. Under the floor is a crypt where members of the Meziříčský family from Lomnice are buried. At a time when non-Catholics predominated in Meziříčí, the hospital church served Catholics. The church has preserved a beautiful Renaissance tombstone of Mr. Zikmund Heldt of Kement, Lord of Meziříčí and Vice-Chancellor of the Kingdom of Bohemia, who died in 1564. During the First World War, the church hosted services of Italian refugees who stayed in Velké Meziříčí with their priest.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Hospital in Velké Meziříčí
There is only one altar in the church. In front of it is a walled entrance to the tomb. The tombstone with the emblem of the lords of Lomnice is set in the wall. In front of the entrance to the church is the bell of St. Mikuláš from 1969. He had to be eliminated due to a defect in his throat. Close to the hospital church is the building of the former city hospital - a former house for the poor, now a residential house.