In the years 1656 - 1676, the Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary and St. Ignatius. From the very beginning, it included a crypt, which was to serve as the burial ground of important members of the Jesuit order. Such persons included, above all, rectors and teachers; later they were joined by rich nobles, such as the lords of Klenová and Janovice. In the list of people, however, we also find the names of high-ranking officers and wealthy townspeople. After the intervention of Joseph II. however, the burial stopped, the church began to be rebuilt and as a result of an insensitive intervention in the building, the bodies of 140 mummies were devalued. They now live in the local cemetery near the church of St. Jakuba. Today, this period is commemorated by new exhibition spaces, which are definitely worth seeing.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Klatovy catacombs
Author: Marcela Horká, Vlastimil Hloupý