Church of St. Peter and Paul in Caslav
Whether you look at the city of Čáslav from any part of the world, the Church of St. Peter and Paul will always form its dominant feature. It is located just a few steps from the square and its tower, rising to a height of 88.5 meters, is used for views of the city and its surroundings.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Church of St. Peter and Paul in Caslav
In the place of today's church of St. Peter and Paul has stood since the beginning of the 12th century a smaller Romanesque tribune church of St. Michala. During the 13th century, a presbytery was added to it, and in the 14th century, a three-nave hall was built and the chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows was built. The tower was added to the church until the end of the 15th century.
The church underwent a number of reconstructions, especially after the fires of 1452 and 1522, which severely damaged the church. The current form of the church was impressed by the reconstruction led by Kamil Hilbert from 1910-1911. During this reconstruction, human remains were discovered in a walled niche in the place of the towering chapel, which probably belong to Jan Žižek of Trocnov.
At present, the church of St. Peter and Paul in Čáslav, a three-nave hall and a polygonally finished presbytery. The dominant feature of the church is the tower. In the place of the present sacristy there are the remains of the original Romanesque church and the original Romanesque portal dated to 1130. In the portal of the church there is a relief of both saints to whom the church is dedicated, created by Stanislav Sucharda and in a place inserted during the regotization of the church. Above the main nave there is a net vault, above the side aisles and the presbytery we find cross vaults, which carry pear ribs in the presbytery. The windows in the main nave and the presbytery have a pointed shape with tracery.
The interior also features a stone sprinkle from the Renaissance period and a pewter baptistery from the first half of the 16th century. The vast majority of the church's furnishings are neo-Gothic.
Remains of Renaissance frescoes have been preserved on the walls in the interior of the church, the main altar from the end of the 18th century bears statues of St. Simon and St. Andrew and in the headquarters is a picture of St. Peter and Paul. In addition, inside and outside we can come across 37 stone tombstones dating from the 16th to 18th centuries.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová