Velehrad - Cyril and Methodius pilgrimage site
Velehrad is one of the most important places of pilgrimage in the Czech Republic, which has been much talked about lately. In 2013, the 1150th anniversary of the arrival of the missionaries Cyril and Methodius in Moravia was celebrated, and it is with them that this place is connected.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Velehrad - Cyril and Methodius pilgrimage site
The village of Velehrad is located about 6 kilometers from Uherské Hradiště. Although Cyril and Methodius are remembered here during the annual pilgrimages, this Velehrad is not the place where these Old Slavic scholars preached. After all, there are still disputes about its exact determination. The center of the Great Moravian Empire was indeed called Veligrad, or Velehrad, but it probably lay a little differently. The name Velehrad used for this particular village dates back to 1131. Today there live about 1300 inhabitants and thousands of other visitors come here to see this holy place and especially the beautiful Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Cyril and Methodius.
The basilica is part of the Velehrad monastery, which is the first Cistercian monastery founded in Moravia in the first half of the 13th century. The monastery was devastated and repaired several times during its existence, as well as the church. In 1681, a devastating fire broke out in the monastery, and at the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries, it resulted in probably the largest reconstruction of the entire complex. The church also underwent a major change at that time and gained its present appearance. It then became a minor basilica in 1927, when it was awarded the title by Pope Pius XI. Huge honors were given to this place in 1985, when Pope John Paul II. donated the Golden Rose. This precious consecrated decoration of pure gold is awarded very exceptionally and is understood as a great honor and proof of the papal affection for places faithful to the Holy See. As a memorial to the visit of Pope John Paul II. in Velehrad in 1990, a huge cross with its emblem stands in the courtyard in front of the basilica.
The interior of the basilica is worth a thorough inspection and admiration of ancient masters. Beauty, faith and respect breathe from every part of this place.
Author: Martina Limbergová