Kahan III - Cold War Museum
Kahan III is one of the buildings of the pre-war fortifications, which was later rebuilt to provide telecommunications connections to the Ministry of the Interior in the event of a Cold War conflict.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Kahan III - Cold War Museum
The building can be found in the village of Dobrošov near Náchod, approximately 2 km from the Polish border, and this area belonged to Germany in the period before the Second World War. After Adolf Hitler came to power, Germany began to claim territory on the border of the Czechoslovak Republic, after which our then government responded by building a large border fortification. The model was the French Maginot Line and the fortifications were to take place along the entire then border with Germany, which was then approximately 1,500 km long. The most difficult buildings were built in the northeastern part of the republic, between the Giant Mountains and Ostrava, which was most endangered. Dobrošov also belongs to this area.
History of the infantry cabin
The construction of the infantry cabin was commissioned on May 18, 1937 and it was the 3rd / V. construction sub-section of ŽSV in Náchod. Work on this sub-section for the first time began on June 28, 1937 and was to be completed within 250 days. 10,893,987.95 crowns were paid for ten buildings in this sub-section, and by September 1938 all buildings in the given sub-section had already been built, with most of them already fully armed and equipped.
Infantry cabin N-S 71 "In the saddle" is a two-sided two-winged building, which was concreted between 4 and 11 April 1938, and for the construction of which was used 1,895 m3 of reinforced concrete. The object was armed with two anti-tank cannons, coupled with heavy machine guns, two twins heavy machine guns and six light machine guns. Two armored infantry bells were also installed and the crew consisted of 35 soldiers.
At the beginning of 1986, the building was extensively rebuilt into an anti-tank shelter, the task of which was to provide a backup of a backup source of electricity used for telecommunications and communication purposes for the conduct of the war. It was a top-secret project, funded by the Federal Ministry of the Interior under the code name Kahan III.
At the end of 1991, all work was temporarily suspended, but was never completed again, as was the planned installation of specific electronic and technical components. Between 1991 and 2003, no one paid attention to the building and people gradually dismantled it. The building was opened to the public in 2004 and today houses the Cold War Museum.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová