New Castle near Adamov (ruins)

One of the very romantic places in Blansko lies on a rocky promontory above the valley of the river Svitava, between Blansko and Adamov. It belongs to the cadastre of the village Olomučany and attracts visitors from spring to the first snow.

Information for visitors

Adress: Nový hrad, 679 04 Adamov, Česko, Adamov, 679 04 Česko
GPS: 49.32416390, 16.64189720
New Castle near Adamov (ruins) map

Interesting facts New Castle near Adamov (ruins)

The New Castle is a repaired ruin of a small castle, which was built a short distance from the original Old Castle, on the site of its advanced fortifications. It was conquered in the middle of the 15th century after the siege and demolished by Hungary. The old castle was built in the 14th century as a manor house and an important place in guarding the strategic road from Brno through the Blansko valley. The Montenegrin brothers, to whom the manor belonged, therefore had the New Castle built to continue to perform these functions. The castle belonged to the Černohorský family from Boskovice until 1562 as a royal flag and then it was sold to them by decision of the king. However, the family died by the sword in 1597 and the castle fell to the Liechtensteins by marriage. However, during the Swedish campaign in 1645, it was also conquered and damaged. It was partially repaired at the end of the 17th century and then served as a residence for hunters. Its reconstruction took place at the beginning of the 19th century, between 1805-1807.

At that time, it was rebuilt into a romantic form, which included a new high tower. However, it had to be reduced in the middle of the 19th century due to the railway that was built in the valley. There were fears that shocks during the passage of trains could damage the tower and cause it to collapse down into the valley. From 1920, the castle was owned by the state, but after some time, when a picnic inn operated here, it was no longer cared for and thus it fell into disrepair. The rescue for him became the Czech Union for Nature Conservation, which undertook its repairs in the early 1980s and in 1990 took it under its administration.

The construction of the castle has the shape of a rectangle and you can enter it by a drawbridge over a moat broken in the rock. Around the courtyard is the main palace, octagonal tower and voice. It is surrounded by a high wall with a well-preserved fence. Not only the castle, but also its surroundings are worth a nice trip.

The new castle is located in a nature reserve, so access to it is only possible on foot. Several marked hiking trails lead to it. You can choose whether you prefer the shortest path to a steep hill, or a longer detour, but comfortable. The castle itself is open in season from Tuesday to Sunday in nice weather.

Author: Martina Limbergová

Photo author: Monika Pelcová