The ruins of the castle, called Lukov, stand in sight of the village of Lukov, northeast of Zlín. At present, there is only a torso of the castle, which was once one of the largest in all of Moravia. The current ruins of the Gothic castle are characterized mainly by the preserved entrance gate and pillar bridge.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Lukov (ruins)
Long underground corridors, stretching under Lukov Castle, allegedly hide the lost treasure of the Templars. It was they who once lived in Lukov for a short time, and one of the legends says that with the stroke of midnight, a headless Templar in a white robe is running through the castle, and that the local treasure is guarded by a four-eyed devil. Another of the legends associated with Luke tells of a golden duck, which bears three golden ducats here every night. However, if someone wants to take them, the duck chases him away and intoxicates him with an evil hiss, and then the evil spirits take him to an underground lake, where the Templars were once bathed.
The historical sources are not rich in the case of Lukov, however, it can be read from them that it was a castle founded by the Czech king sometime in the first half of the 13th century. Lukov Castle is also mentioned in the biography of Charles IV, who tried to get it back from the pledge. At that time, the owners were Luke's lords from Šternberk, who briefly lost the castle, but during the first half of the 14th century it belonged to them again.
In 1469, Lukov was conquered by the troops of Matyáš Korvín, but shortly afterwards it was repaired again and fortified.
At the beginning of the 16th century, Lukov was owned by the lords of Kunštát and subsequently by the Nekšovs from Landek, who had it renovated in the Renaissance style. In 1614 the castle belonged to Albrecht of Wallenstein, who inherited it from his wife Lukrecia Nekšová of Landek. However, the following period was not exactly peaceful ... in 1619 Lukov was confiscated by the director's government and in 1620, 1621 and 1626 it was occupied by rebel Wallachians. In 1643, Swedish troops tried again. From 1625, Luke's emperor was already the owner, however, the castle was considerably damaged by these consequences. Another owner of the castle was then Štěpán Šmíd from Frejhofen, Lukov underwent the necessary repairs, but later served only as a center of economic administration of the estate. It was abandoned only from the 18th century.
The oldest part of the castle is a round tower with an edge, built in the Romanesque style, as well as the remains of the park wall, walls and the foundations of the prismatic tower. Two palaces, the fence walls and the gate tower were built here in the Gothic style. To this day, the so-called Svatojánka, a pentagonal tower and a half-cylindrical bastion have also been preserved. The bridge that enters the castle supports five pillars.
At present, the ruins of Lukov Castle are open to the public at designated hours.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová