Only 16 km in the direction north of Olomouc we find Šternberk, whose core is a city monument zone. Territorially it falls under the Olomouc region and is located in a valley at the western edge of the Low Jeseník. The city has a number of historical monuments and its surroundings with picturesque nature. There are also regular hill races called Ecce Homo.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Šternberk
History of the town
The history of the original town dates back to the middle of the 13th century, when it was built in the castle grounds of Šternberk. The castle and the town were later, in the middle of the 14th century, fortified by walls. In 1469, Matyáš Korvín and Jiří z Poděbrad met here for a meeting.
In 1621 Šternberk was conquered by the estates and then it was an important base of the imperial army. At the end of the Thirty Years' War, the city was occupied by Swedish troops and the city was also hit by plague epidemics, against which a plague column was symbolically erected in 1719. Before the Battle of Austerlitz, the Austrian emperor and Russian tsar met in Sternberg.
Weaving developed in Šternberk and a factory for the production of linen fabrics was opened, and in 1872 also a tobacco factory. The town also developed thanks to the construction of a railway station from nearby Olomouc, and in 1921 the first year of the aforementioned Ecce Homo Šternberk plant was held here.
Sights and interesting places
The biggest attraction of Šternberk is undoubtedly the castle, which was rebuilt in the 19th century. There is a collection of tiled stoves and a classic exhibition.
Among the church buildings, we should mention the Church of the Annunciation, built in the Classicist spirit. There is also a Baroque Augustinian monastery, which is currently used as a rectory.
A pleasant walk promises a beautiful city park with a Neo-Renaissance fountain, or a square with a number of burgher houses from the 18th and 19th centuries.
To the southeast of Šternberk is a very popular place, which is known as Svatý Kopeček with a place of pilgrimage and a zoo.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová