Týn nad Vltavou
The town, which historical sources speak for the first time in connection with the year 1229, lies just a stone's throw from Bechyně and about 12 km southeast of Písek, and is called Týn nad Vltavou. As early as the 10th century, urban-type settlement is documented here, and since then the entire area has been owned by Prague bishops. From the middle of the 13th century there was a castle in Týn nad Vltavou.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Týn nad Vltavou
The flourishing of the local estate was mainly due to the Čibelič family from Soutice, who lived in Týn nad Vltavou in the middle of the 15th century. After the end of the estate uprising in 1621, the local estate again owned the Prague archbishopric, until the middle of the 19th century. The castle was built in Týn nad Vltavou at the end of the 17th century.
The castle was originally archbishop's and built in the early Baroque style. It was built directly on the square in Týn nad Vltavou in 1699 by the builder d´Alfieri, on the site where several burgher houses used to stand. The current appearance of the building does not have a magnificent chateau character. At first glance, it resembles a town hall or a school building.
The chateau in Týn nad Vltavou is a simple building with two floors and a rectangular floor plan. The portal in the facade is decorated with pilasters and a spade above the entrance. Originally, the Prague archbishop had his residence here and for most of its history it was used as the administrative center of the estate with the offices of archbishop's officials.
Currently, the building is used as a Municipal Museum, where we find an exhibition of ceramics, puppetry, shipbuilding and rafting. Every September, the so-called Vltavotýn Golden Treasure is exhibited here on European Heritage Days, ie coins, two belts and two chalices, which were hidden during the Thirty Years' War until 1970 in the house U Modré hvězdy on náměstí Míru.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová