Nové Hrady Castle
We will just take you to a promontory in the vicinity of which flows the Novohradský stream and the river Stropnice. A castle was built here in the first half of the 13th century and belonged to the property of Vítkovec Ojíř of Lomnice. The Landštejns owned the estate until 1359, when it was bought by the Rosenbergs. Nové Hrady was an important military support center, but during the Hussite wars it was burned down by the Tábor army.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Nové Hrady Castle
An accident occurred in 1579, because during a storm a stored gunpowder ignited in a cylindrical tower and it did not go without an explosion. The tower shattered and, along with it, damaged the surrounding buildings. But misfortune goes not only to people, but also to castles. A strong earthquake from 1590 caused further severe damage to the castle and even its demolition could be considered. Eventually, the ruins were removed and the remaining castle grounds were repaired and newly fortified.
Another important family ruling the castle were the Švamberks and after them the Buquoys. Karel Bonaventura Buquoy was shot during the campaign in Hungary, and his wife first left the administration to brothers Grehadt and Filip van Stratten. Unfortunately, she could not rely on them much and so she decided to move from Belgium to the Czech Republic. She liquidated the manor houses on the square and had a comfortable residence built, suitable for living since 1635. The Buquoys had their seat here until the 19th century, ie until the construction of the new Empire chateau. The castle housed manorial officials and housed a family archive and library. During the war, the castle was inhabited by the Red Army, and after the war, the property was confiscated by the state.
At present, the castle has several tours for visitors - the routes Castle, Apartment of the manorial official and Castle Moat await to discover. You can see, for example, an exhibition of Buquoy glassmaking, a family library with more than fifteen thousand volumes, furniture, a collection of gouache and a portrait gallery.
Author: Petra Nachtmanová