Look forward to a breathtaking trip to Lednice! Lednice Castle is part of the Lednice-Valtice area, which is a natural landscape and many romantic garden buildings. The original fortress was mentioned as early as 1222, but the construction of the Renaissance chateau took place only under Prince Hartman of Liechtenstein. An important Liechtenstein family owned the estate until 1945, and over the centuries it enlarged and beautified the castle and its surroundings. In the 17th century, it became their representative seat, which was mainly due to Charles of Liechtenstein and his son Karel Eusebius.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Lednice
The fundamental phases of the reconstruction took place with the participation of invited important craftsmen, fountain makers, architects and artists. They were even generously rewarded for their work. Among the famous names, architects G.G., for example, took part in the transformation of the seat. Tencalla, F. Caratti, and J.B. Fischer of Erlach.
At the end of the 17th century, a riding school with stables was added to the part used for living, preserved to this day in its original form. The church of St. Jakub Staršího, built in 1731. In the next century, the chateau first changed into the Classicist style and in 1815 it was dominated by the Empire. The current appearance dates from 1846 - 1858. At that time, Prince Alois of Liechtenstein decided to hold a celebration in Lednice instead of the current Vienna. The seat was modified according to the so-called Windsor Gothic. Exteriors and interiors have changed. The prince could hold meetings of the nobility from Europe in halls with ornately carved ceilings, wood paneling and luxury furniture. The second floor of the castle served children and the first had bathrooms and bedrooms.
At the castle you will also find a magnificent park with many attractions. Today's appearance is the result of modifications from the early 19th century. The most famous building is the Minaret in the oriental Moorish style, you will also see the artificial ruins of Janův hrad, the labyrinth under the greenhouse, an artificial cave decorated with made and real stalactites and much more.
Author: Petra Nachtmanová