Originally, in the place of today's castle in Břeclav there was a castle, founded by Prince Břetislav I. between 1041 and 1050, whose task was to protect the trade route across the river Dyje. The castle was originally wooden and occupied the same location as the current castle, ie right in the center of Břeclav.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Břeclav (Chateau)
History of the castle
During the first half of the 13th century, the Břeclav castle underwent the first major reconstruction, during which the wooden castle turned into a stone one. From 1384, the owners of the local estate were the Liechtensteins, during whose reign the land register of the estate was written in 1414, in which, in addition to the castle, a mill and a brewery were also mentioned.
In 1534 the local estate passed into the hands of the Žerotíns, who, thanks to the purchase of the surrounding estates, managed to create a large estate and at the same time began the reconstruction of the Gothic castle into a Renaissance chateau with arcaded columns and halls and which surrounded the nature park. In addition, the castle was also an important fortress due to its location on the island, which surrounded the branches of the border river Dyje.
In 1600, Ladislav Velen of Žerotín added the south wing. After the Estates troops were defeated, the estate was confiscated from Ladislav Velen of Žerotín, because he himself commanded the Estates troops, and from 1638 the estate again belonged to the Liechtensteins.
From the second half of the 18th century, the Břeclav chateau was no longer used as the seat of feudal lords, officials were placed here, and the gendarmerie and the district court were located here. In the first half of the 19th century, the chateau in Břeclav underwent the last major building alterations.
The castle then suffered great damage during World War II during the bombing. In 1945, the Czechoslovak state became the owner of the chateau and housed the SNB office and a primary vocational school.
In 1970, the Gothic tower from the first half of the 13th century was rebuilt and began to serve as a restaurant (today there is the Rotunda wine bar). In the 1970s, the chateau was used as the seat of the Czech State Insurance Company, the House of Political Education of the Central Committee of the Communist Party and a number of other social organizations.
Today, the Břeclav chateau is owned by the town of Břeclav and is unfurnished. It is open to visitors only during open days.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová