Polná (chateau)

At the edge of the town of Polná in the district of Jihlava and near the pond called Peklo there is a Renaissance chateau. The village of Polná was even declared a historic town in 2006.

Information for visitors

Adress: Zámek 486, Polná
GPS: 49.48763750, 15.71413690
Polná (chateau) map

Interesting facts Polná (chateau)

Historical sources mention Polná for the first time in connection with the year 1242, when it was founded by Jan of Polná. His relatives then sold it to Jindřich of Lipá, and in 1356 the estate became the property of Ješek Ptáček of Pirkenštejn.

The castle was first renovated between 1464 and 1515, at a time when it was owned by the lords of Kunštát. The result was a late Gothic palace with three floors in the northwestern part of the castle grounds.

At the end of the 16th century, the castle in Polná caught fire and subsequently modifications and reconstruction into a Renaissance chateau began. The southern wing of the chateau and the Hradec Králové house were built, which was added to the northern part of the eastern wall.

In the period after Bílá Hora, the chateau was owned by the Dietrichštejns until 1864, who contributed to the modification of the entrance gate of the fort and probably also the fortifications. The castle courtyard was renovated in the second half of the 17th century, when a farm building with a passage was also built, which decorated the coat of arms of the Dietrichstein family. The castle complex served as the seat of the administration of the estate and office apartments.

In 1794, however, the castle burned down again and the Dietrichsteins refused to initiate and finance the repairs. Subsequently, the seat of the authorities was transferred to the castle in Přibyslav. The last floor of the chateau was completely demolished and the rest was equipped with a temporary roof. In 1844, almost the entire north wing with an arcaded corridor and chapel was demolished, and the chateau premises served as storage spaces.

In 1922, the entire building was purchased by Václav Pojmon, who donated it to Sokol and the Municipal Museum Association. He placed his collections in the local premises and subsequently, between 1922 and 1926, the chateau was partially repaired. At present, the chateau houses a branch of the Vysočina Museum.

Author: Andrea Štyndlová