Lázně Bělohrad Castle
The first thing that will interest you in Bělohrad Spa will probably be the name itself. The town, located to the east of Jičín, will surely pleasantly surprise you with its spa, however, it is definitely not the only local attraction. According to legend, the Bělohrad Spa got its name from the color of the chateau, which was built here in the places where the water fortress originally stood.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Lázně Bělohrad Castle
From sources we learn about this village in connection with the year 1354. At that time in the village became only the aforementioned water fortress, which was owned by the Bořek family from Poličany. From the middle of the 16th century, the owners of the estate were the Škopková family from Bílé Otradovice, who had a chateau built in Lázně Bělohrad, which the owners had painted white. It was then that the name of the village was allegedly changed to Bělohrad, in connection with the white castle facade.
Another theory about the origin of the name of the village says that in the 17th century, Turks were fought in Belgrade, Serbia, and that the name Belgrade was related to the admiration expressed by the defenders of the Serbian city.
The castle is surrounded by a park with a number of sculptures, including a lion with a helmet, which also appears in the emblem of the city. The local chateau is one of the most important monuments in Lázně Bělohrad. It has a Baroque appearance, imprinted on it by the then owner, Bertold Vilém of Valdštejn, the governor of Hradec Králové. The complete reconstruction of the chateau took place at the beginning of the 18th century and the documents for it were allegedly prepared by Jan Blažej Santini Aichel. At the time when the estate was owned by Bertold Vilém of Valdštejn, Bělohrad was promoted to a town.
At present, the Lázně Bělohrad chateau is not open to the public.
The Bělohrad Spa was founded by the Israeli Max, a knight Dormitzer, who had a cleansing spa with warm water built on the left bank of the Javorka. It happened in 1880 and 5 years later the manor was bought by the Countess of Asseburg. At this time, spa buildings, the Zátiší and Vlach hotels were built, then the Lázeňský hotel, Lázeňská street and houses on the square. In 1891, a Swiss-style spa house was built, which is called Anenské slatinné lázně and was to serve the memory of the Countess of Asseburg.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová