The town of Doksy is located near the shore of Lake Mácha, in the direction not southeast of Česká Lípa. It is first mentioned in historical sources in connection with the year 1293 and later with the personality of Charles IV, who supported this town a lot, granted it significant privileges and in 1367 had a pond established here, today's Mácha's Lake.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Doksy (chateau)
The Renaissance chateau, which is undoubtedly the dominant feature of the whole town, was built during the first half of the 16th century, at a time when the local estate was owned by Mikuláš Zajíc of Házmburk. It was he who had the Renaissance residence built here, mainly because the nearby Bezděz Castle no longer met the requirements for comfortable living. The original part of the castle has basically been preserved to the present day and forms the western wing of the current castle.
Václav Berka from Dubá continued with further construction, having another wing built. He lost his estate due to confiscation after the Battle of White Mountain, and so this property subsequently belonged to Albrecht of Wallenstein, who, among other things, also owned Wallenstein Castle. After he was assassinated, Walter Buttler, one of those involved in his assassination, became the new owner of Doksy Castle. After his death, however, the Wallenstein family bought the chateau back and owned it until 1945, when it was nationalized.
Doksy Castle was modified several times during the time when it was owned by the Wallensteins, with the last radical modification being the reconstruction and rebuilding of the interior in the 20th century.
From the architectural point of view, the Doksy chateau, located in the center of the town of the same name, is very interesting. It is a three-winged Renaissance and Baroque building surrounded by an English park. The west wing is Renaissance, it is an original manor house and has distinctive volute gables. The south wing has two floors, is "connecting" and built in the style of early Baroque. It is characterized by its supporting pillars and balconies. The youngest wing is the eastern wing, two-storey, equipped with a square tower with three floors. Almost nothing of the original castle interiors has been preserved. Thanks to modifications in the 20th century, they were de facto destroyed.
At present, Doksy Castle is not open to the public.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová