On the outskirts of the town of Frýdlant, north of Liberec, just a few kilometers from the border with Poland, you can visit a Renaissance castle and chateau, built on a basalt promontory above the river Směda. In the Czech Republic, Frýdlant is one of the most important monuments.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Frýdlant (chateau)
In the place of today's castle there was an originally Gothic underground castle, founded by Ronovci in the 13th century, of which only a cylindrical tower has survived to this day. Melchior of Redern had the chateau built on the site of this castle after 1582. A new Renaissance residence was built here by a builder named Marcus Spazzio, who completed the reconstruction of the castle with the construction of the chapel of St. Anny.
After the Battle of Bílá Hora, Albrecht of Valdštejn became the owner of Frýdlant, who lived mainly in Jičín and after whose death the chateau passed into the hands of Gallas. Between 1645 and 1647, the chateau and castle were seized by the Swedes several times. During the ownership of František Ferdinand Gallas at the end of the 17th century, Baroque alterations were made to the chateau. From 1805, the castle and chateau in Frýdlant received Neo-Renaissance elements and a new wing was added to it for Eduard Clam-Gallas. This family lived in Frýdlant until 1945, when it became the property of the state.
As the previous text suggests, the Frýdlant area is a very valuable synthesis of a medieval castle and a Renaissance chateau. The castle has the form of a two-storey building with a small irregular courtyard, dominated by a large cylindrical tower. The lower gate from the 15th century, on the other hand, leads visitors to the castle courtyard, which is formed by a castellan wing on the north side. From the outer castle courtyard we get to the castle chapel.
The castle houses a castle museum with an exhibition dedicated to the Thirty Years' War and the personality of Albrecht of Wallenstein. You can also see the castle kitchen, pewter and copper utensils, stove and grill, which are still functional and since 1995 there is also an exhibition of pipes.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová