The Moravian-Silesian Region and the Bruntál District - this is exactly where the town of Krnov lies, and almost in its very center is the chateau, forming a complex consisting of several buildings, spread over an almost square floor plan. It is separated from the city by a wall with an entrance portal and two bastions.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts chateau Krnov
The original castle, which stood in Krnov, was largely made of wood and was built here by the Přemyslids. However, Jiří Hohenzollern had it demolished and a castle built in its place between 1531 and 1535. Its builder was Hanuš Ennych from Ennych and the rich inhabitants of Krnov also contributed financially to it. Economic and administrative buildings were gradually added to the chateau.
If you wanted to look for regularity in the Krnov chateau, you probably wouldn't walk ... aesthetics definitely didn't play a key role in construction, or rather it wasn't as important as the practical side and the defensive function against the external enemy. "It's like a bull's head, ready to take an attacker to the horns," it was said of him. The defensive function was achieved mainly thanks to the system of city fortifications.
At first glance, the modest-looking chateau was very lavishly equipped at the time, and was considered a famous seat within Moravia and Silesia. In addition to the aforementioned farm buildings, the chateau also had buildings for servants, stables, food warehouses and other structures. In the middle of the fortification walls and castle buildings was a courtyard with an irregular floor plan, where knightly tournaments often took place.
The Hohenzollern family lived in the Krnov chateau until 1622, when it fell to the Liechtensteins due to confiscation. In 1779, however, the castle burned down and all equipment was destroyed by fire. After that, the chateau in Krnov never served its original purpose again.
The castle underwent one of the last modifications after the Second World War. At present, the chateau is used by Lesy ČR and for various commercial purposes. The interiors are not freely accessible to visitors, however, it is worth visiting in any case the courtyard, which can be visited freely, and which is decorated with an arcaded corridor, decorated with Renaissance sgraffito.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová