Although Frýdek - Místek is a twin city, we can find only one chateau in it, on the territory of Frýdek. It was originally a Gothic castle, which is first mentioned in historical sources in connection with the year 1327, and which was built by the Piasts at the borders of the Teschen principality. The chateau is located in the very center of Frýdek - Místek, has a Baroque appearance, is surrounded by a small park and currently houses the Beskydy Museum.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Frýdek (chateau)
History of the castle
The center of the original fortress was formed by a prismatic tower with a passage and a palace, which was surrounded by walls. In the period after the Hussite wars, a one-storey wing, the Knight's Hall, an extended gate and a Gothic fortification were added.
During the 16th century, at the time when the estate was owned by the Pernštejns, the southern, western and eastern wings were completed, and the chapel of St. Barbory. The open arcades were probably built in the courtyard of the chateau by George of Lohov. The chateau underwent further building modifications under the ownership of the Bruntálskýs from Vrbno, who took care of the construction of the forecourt, which is now located in the first courtyard. At this time, the castle acquired a Renaissance appearance.
Between 1636 and 1699 the estate was owned by the Oprštorf family and in the 18th century by the Pražm family, who continued with further repairs. The chapel was modified and the tower in the front of the chateau was completed. In 1797 the chateau was bought by the daughter of Maria Theresa, Maria Kristina, Archduchess of Austria, so the chateau became the property of the Habsburg family and began to be used more for administrative and office purposes.
The image of the Frýdek-Místek chateau
The chateau in Frýdek - Místek has the form of several one- and two-storey buildings, which are grouped around two courtyards. The entrance to the castle is dominated by a prismatic tower with five floors, topped by an onion-shaped roof. The courtyard is renaissance - arcaded, and the most valuable room in the whole castle is the Knight's Hall.
The history of the chateau park dates back to the Renaissance period, but the greenery surrounding the chateau was transformed into an English park only in the 19th century. The park is not very large, but it looks pleasant and is carefully maintained.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová