Travel with us into the past and visit the baroque jewel of Silesia.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Kravaře (chateau)
Today's chateau stands on the site of the original water fortress, the first mention of which dates from 1377. Its owners were the lords of Kravaře. In the 16th century, the original fortress with a courtyard and a brewery was abandoned and a new, single-wing building in the Renaissance style was built next to it. It was rebuilt in the 17th century by James of Eichendorf into a Baroque chateau. In the years 1721 - 1728, building modifications took place at the chateau, during which the chateau received a closed layout. The quality of the building points to one of the leading architects of the time. From 1920 it belonged to the state, which bought it from a factory owner from today's Zabrze in Poland. The seat of a school of economics and housekeeping with a boarding school was established here. In 1937 it burned down, the fire destroyed the roofs, ceilings, figural and ornamental stucco, interior equipment and wooden entrance stairs. Only the chapel has been preserved. It was not reconstructed until 1955 - 1977. Since 1990, the Kravaře chateau has been the property of the town.
The surroundings of the chateau are surrounded by a 19-hectare natural landscape park, which turns into a forest park. It was founded in the 18th century on the site of the original floodplain forest. There are several streams and ponds. Many woody plants grow here, some of which are more than 200 years old. The park, or directly to the black walnut, which until recently grew near the chapel, is associated with the legend of Maria Theresa. The Empress allegedly cried under him when in 1742 she lost the war for Silesia with the Prussian King Bedrich the Great. A large part of the park is used as a nine-hole golf course, extended by water areas, benches, bridges, crossings, etc. A bicycle path leading from the Jeseníky Mountains to Ostrava also passes through the park.
In addition to the chateau, the church of St. Bartholomew with a white Renaissance tower from the 16th century. The tower houses a stone baptistery and two bells from the 17th century.
Author: Marie Bukovinská