According to historical sources, the history of Kolodějský chateau dates back to 1346, when the local seat is referred to as a fortress, which was later bought by Charles IV. and subsequently donated it to his brother, the Moravian margrave Jan Jindřich.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Koloděje (chateau)
Historical purchase agreements for this place speak of a Renaissance chateau from the end of the 16th century. From 1623, when it was confiscated, it was owned by the Liechtensteins. During the Thirty Years' War, Koloděje Castle was severely damaged and other alterations, which took place between 1706 and 1712, were already carried in the Baroque style.
The Classicist reconstruction was initiated by Liechtenstein between 1802 and 1810, during which a Renaissance, later Baroque, and originally medieval tower was demolished. The local garden took the form of an English park.
On the occasion of the transport of coronation jewels in connection with the coronation of Leopold II. In 1791, these symbols of Czech statehood were stored at Koloděje Castle on the night of August 8-9. Another crucial day for the castle, albeit in a negative sense, was October 18, 1911, when the building was caught by a fire that destroyed the roof, during which the stuccoes on some ceilings took over. Repairs were completed three years later.
In 1919, Kolodějský zámek, mainly due to its convenient location on the outskirts of Prague, was used by President T.G. Masaryk as a summer residence. In connection with the land reform, the chateau was confiscated from the Liechtensteins and in 1928 sold to Anna and Vladimír Holenko, and Ing. Antonín Kumpera and his wife Olga. At that time, the castle was already relatively run-down and quite unmaintained, as well as the adjacent park with a game reserve, so the couple had to invest a lot of money in repairs.
In 1943, the castle in Kolodějy vacated the premises for the needs of the National Gallery, which kept some rare works of art here, due to fears of the bombing of Prague.
In 1946, the Kolodějský chateau was owned by Ing. Antonín Kumpera imposed national administration and the chateau served as the summer residence of the Prime Minister. Two years later, the Higher Political School of the SNB was established here, and during the 1950s, the cellars of the chateau served as a prison for the victims of the Stalinist trials. Beginning in 1955, Kolodějský zámek was used by the Office of the Prime Minister of the Czechoslovak Republic.
Koloděje underwent a complete reconstruction in the 1970s and until 2010 it was also used as a government castle. He then passed into private hands and is now inaccessible.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová