In the charming spa town of Poděbrady on the right bank of the river Elbe stands a Renaissance chateau, whose history dates back to the beginnings of the Czech state. Originally, a trade route from Prague to Kłodzko led here, and a guard fortress was established there, the task of which was to protect the ford across the Elbe River.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Poděbrady (chateau)
Historical sources mention Poděbrady for the first time in connection with the year 1199, when the local estate was owned by Arnošt of Poděbrady. The town of Poděbrady was founded in the middle of the 13th century by King Přemysl Otakar II. and at the same time there was also the construction of the local water castle, which was under King Přemysl Otakar II. popular as well as with later rulers, Wenceslas II. and John of Luxembourg.
In 1375, the Poděbrady chateau was owned by Hynek of Lichtenburg and subsequently passed into the ownership of the lords of Kunštát. The castle was then twice unsuccessfully besieged by the Hussites. In 1420, the future King George of Poděbrady was allegedly born here, who owned the local seat from 1427. After him, until 1840, the manor was owned by the royal chamber.
The castle was rebuilt into a Renaissance chateau during the 16th century, and between 1723 and 1724 František Maxmilián Kaňka worked on alterations to the chateau. The last and at the same time the largest reconstruction of the chateau took place between 1751 and 1754. The reconstruction was initiated by Maria Theresa and led by J. Hűbner, however, the chateau then became expressionless.
In 1839, the owner of the chateau became the Viennese banker Baron Jiří Sina, who lent the local premises in 1848 to the town hall for the purpose of locating state offices, the town court and the governor's office.
The other owners were Prince Ypsilanti and Prince Hohenlohe, and from 1920 the Joint Stock Company of Carbonic Baths and Springs in Poděbrady. At present, the chateau is the property of Charles University in Prague and is used for the purposes of the Elbe Museum in Poděbrady - the King George Memorial. The exhibition is divided into two accessible spaces, the medieval chapel and the so-called birth hall of the king. Murals from the late Gothic period have been preserved in the chapel to this day.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová