The Renaissance chateau in Vsetín is the oldest historical building in this center of Wallachia, and its tower still oversees the ancient path leading to the Beskydy mountain passes. At present, the castle building in Vsetín houses the Museum of the Wallachia region, whose collections try to capture life in Wallachia and the history not only of the castle, but also of Vsetín.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Chateau Vsetín
In addition to the Vsetín chateau, the Museum of the Wallachian Region also includes the Kinský chateau in Valašské Meziříčí, the observatory in Vsetín or the Lešná park. Visitors can see four permanent exhibitions in the chateau, including art history museum collections, a set of bentwood furniture Thonet and J & J Kohn, collections of applied art and more. Relatively recently, an exhibition called In the Vsetín Castle was opened, which introduces visitors to the history of this building. Another exhibition shows archaeological finds from the castle cellars, which are the oldest part of the castle, and which were discovered during the 1960s.
In the place of the present chateau there used to be a fortress, mentioned since 1464, whose task was to guard the road to Pováží. In 1534, Jan of Pernštejn became the owner of the Vsetín estate, and in 1548 he sold it to the Nekš family. Nekšov's heiress, Lukrécia, married Arkleb of Vickov in 1599, and it was probably he who had the old fortress rebuilt into a Renaissance chateau. After his death, Albrecht of Wallenstein became Lukrécia's husband. After Lukrécia's death, all the property of the Nekšs fell to Albrecht of Wallenstein.
After another owner of the chateau, Zdeněk Žampach, sold the chateau to the Archbishop of Esztergom, Peru, Pázmány, in 1632, Hungarian feudal lords became the owners of the estate for two centuries.
Between 1732 and 1733, the chateau was enlarged and the chateau chapel was abolished. Another of the owners, Josef Wachtler, had the chateau rebuilt between 1833 and 1834 in the spirit of fashion classicism, especially in the façade and interiors. Since 1890, the chateau has been owned by Moravian industrialists Thonet. In 1915 a fire caught up with the chateau building and then it was renovated.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová