Church of St. Vita Cesky Krumlov
The biggest dominant feature of the South Bohemian pearl, Český Krumlov, is undoubtedly the local chateau, which, however, figuratively speaking, is followed by the Roman Catholic Church of St. Víta, which can be found in the picturesque surroundings of the historic city center, on Kostelní Street.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Church of St. Vita Cesky Krumlov
It was built in 1400 by the parish priest of Krumlov, Hostislav of Bílsko, in places where an older building used to be. It was consecrated in 1439 and in 1500 a musical tribune was built in the western part of the church by the local townspeople. The next building modifications of the church were already in the spirit of the Baroque.
In the years 1725 - 1726, Adam František of Schwarzenberg and his wife Eleonora Amalie had the chapel of St. John of Nepomuk, which is located next to the Chapel of the Resurrection. A number of interior and altar furnishings also date from the Baroque period.
At the end of the 19th century, the church was remodeled in the neo-Gothic style, and later no significant alterations, apart from minor restoration work, affected it. Among the last significant changes in the church we can add perhaps the establishment of the chapel of St. Wenceslas in the northern sacristy.
The three-nave church has an indoor concept in the style of High and Late Gothic. The whole interior is perfectly lit and the whole space can be viewed from just one place. All dimensions, both height and width and length, go perfectly together. The chancel is vaulted with a net vault, inspired by the one found in the Milev church.
From the early Baroque, from 1683, comes the main altar, which was made by Jan Kristián of Eggenberg and his wife Marie Ernestina, whose coat of arms can be found in the middle of the altar. The motif of the altarpiece depicts the Coronation of the Virgin Mary and the coronation of St. Welcome.
In the chapel of St. Jan Nepomucký, which can be found on the left side nave, is the heart of some members of the Schwarzenberg family.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová