Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary of Bavaria
Although many may never have thought so, the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Bavorov is one of the most important Gothic buildings in southern Bohemia.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary of Bavaria
In the middle of the 14th century, a branch church stood next to the church in Blanica in Bavorov, and the construction of the local parish church began sometime after 1360 and was probably completed by 1384. The initiators of the construction were Petr, Jošt, Jan and Oldřich of Rožmberk.
The second tower of the local church began to be built later, in 1604, by the builder Petr Vlach of Vodňany. It is a tower located on the southwest corner of the church. The building was damaged several times by fire, once in 1649, later in 1867. After the first of the fires, Petr Spineta rebuilt the church and conceived it as a three-nave. During the second fire, the large church tower and the bells of Pavel, Marek and Marie were destroyed. The reconstruction of the tower was later undertaken by the Písek builder Špirhanzl, and on the first day of December 1869, the consecration and hanging of new bells, named Jan Nepomuk, Ida, Marie and Adolf, took place.
During the years 1905-1908, the church was regotized by Josef Mocker and renovated by M. Boháč in 1938.
The original plan provided for the construction of a single-nave church with a floor plan in the shape of a regular cross, but later, when the presbytery and the transept were completed, the concept was changed to a two-nave church with a tiled vault and two pillars. The building did not acquire the appearance of a three-nave church with a pentagonal presbytery until the 17th century.
At the northern side of the church there is a sacristy, from which a corridor leads to the adjacent rectory, and at the northern arm of the transept there is a chapel of the Guardian Angel with a rectangular floor plan and a tower. There is also an ossuary on the north side and a three-storey Renaissance tower at the southwest corner.
Jan Václav Hammer from Čimelice took care of the carving interior decoration around 1770.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová