Church of St. Janů Brno
In the very center of the city of Brno, on Minoritská Street, there is a minority monastery with the church of St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist. It is a busy place with dense surrounding buildings, which does not allow to open the appropriate space for this building and passers-by the view of this important Brno monument remains rather limited.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Church of St. Janů Brno
Probably due to the long name of both saints, to whom the Minorite church is dedicated, at least among the inhabitants of Brno, the name Kostel sv. Janů. It is a Roman Catholic church from the 13th century, belonging to a Minorite monastery.
In the period between 1227 and 1239, minorities came to Brno and a temporary monastery was established together with the temporary church of St. John the Baptist. The church was built during the middle of the 13th century and in 1257 it was consecrated. Five years later, the monastery caught fire and the complex was repaired and a new building was built.
The church underwent further alterations during the first half of the 18th century, when a Loreta chapel was built near it, the convent was expanded and the church was baroqued. A new vault and windows were built in the presbytery, and then the main nave was rebuilt, in which the original vault was replaced by a Baroque one. In the spirit of the dynamic Baroque, the facade of the church was also modified, and it was given a form that has been preserved in its essence to this day.
The monastery complex, together with the Loreta chapel and the church, has been on the list of cultural monuments of the Czech Republic since 1958.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová