Church of St. Michala Brno
One of a number of Brno churches is dedicated to St. Michal, we can find him right in the center of Brno on Dominikánské náměstí, almost in the immediate vicinity of the new town hall. Its history dates back to the 13th century, but at the time when Swedish troops besieged Brno, the building was destroyed. The current Baroque appearance is the work of the Brno builder Jan Křtitel Erna and dates from the second half of the 17th century.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Church of St. Michala Brno
Church of St. Michal was founded on the initiative of the Dominicans, whose order still works in the church. Within Brno, the Dominicans are one of the oldest orders to settle here. For their work and the monastery, they chose a place at the western gallery of the city walls, while the church of St. Michal was probably built on the site of the former Romanesque rotunda, at the foot of today's Petrov.
The Brno Dominican monastery was founded approximately between 1228-1230. In the 13th century, the church was extended by a late Romanesque cloister and in the middle of the 14th century and at the end of the 15th century, the church was rebuilt in the Gothic style and the late Gothic Way of the Cross.
During the Middle Ages, the Church of St. Michal in Brno a very important place. The assemblies of the provincial states began here, and the Moravian margraves were in office in this very church.
During the Thirty Years' War, the church was severely damaged and between 1658 and 1679, at the initiative of members of the Dietrichstein family, a new, early Baroque style was built, which is known to us from its current form. John the Baptist Erna, the builder of the church, changed its original orientation and the presbytery was facing west, while a monumental facade was built from the east. Around the same time, a terrace and its rich sculptural decoration were created.
Order of Dominicans in the church of St. Michal worked until the time of the Josephine reforms, when the order was Joseph II. canceled and a total of 45 brothers forced to leave. During the Napoleonic Wars, the monastery was used as a hospital and prison. At present, in the church of St. Michal again the Order of the Dominicans.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová