Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary and monastery - Vranov u Brna
Vranov u Brna is a small village in the Brno-venkov district, but since the 15th century it has also been an important Marian pilgrimage site, one of the most important in Moravia. At the top of the hill proudly rises the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, under which there is a crypt of the Liechtenstein family, former owners of the estate and builders of the church.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary and monastery - Vranov u Brna
The legend of the apparition of the Virgin Mary to the Moravian nobleman Vilém is connected with the origin of the church on this site. He got lost in the deep forest in 1240 and probably because he had sick eyes, he could not find the right way. But the Virgin Mary appeared to him, showed him the way out of the forest and, miraculously, healed his eyes. Out of gratitude, William had a wooden church built on the site of the apparition, which was later rebuilt into a Gothic brick church, because the original one soon ceased to be enough for the arriving pilgrims. However, even this church was not enough, so Maximilian of Liechtenstein had a new church built in the years 1617-1630. Its architect was Giovanni Giacomo Tencalla. Immediately after the completion of the church, a Pauline monastery was built. This order was here until 1784, when Joseph II. Vranov monastery abolished. However, since 1992, the Paulines have been here again and are gradually working on the restoration of the monastery, which was demolished after their departure, except for one wing. The Order has now established the Spiritual Center of St. Francis of Paula here. A rare monument here is a Gothic sculpture of the statue of the Virgin Mary as it should have appeared, ie as a young girl without a child in a position of humble prayer.
The Liechtenstein tomb is located under the nave, the entrance portal to it is located in the garden next to the church. Forty members of this family, including the founders of the monastery, are buried in it. The tomb has been undergoing reconstruction in recent years because it has fallen into disrepair due to moisture and neglect. However, even after repairs, it should not be open to the public, except on special occasions, in order to preserve the piety of the place.
Author: Martina Limbergová