Jewish synagogue in Dolní Kounice
The Jewish Synagogue, which is the most important and best-preserved building of the former Jewish ghetto, was built in 1652–1655 in the early Baroque style and is one of the oldest synagogues in Moravia. In 1851, a women's gallery with a porch was added. During the German occupation, the interior was destroyed and the furniture was taken away. After that, it served mainly as a warehouse. It underwent a complete renovation from 1988 to 2004 and now serves cultural and social purposes. The entrance to the synagogue is decorated with a carved stone relief. The walls of the interior are decorated with valuable Baroque paintings with liturgical texts in Hebrew. There is also a small exhibition dedicated to the history of the local Jewish community.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Jewish synagogue in Dolní Kounice
Nearby is the Jewish cemetery, which was founded in 1680 on a slope above the ghetto. It was originally accessible from the north side by foot. The current entrance is from the south from Trboušanská Street. The cemetery is surrounded by a massive stone wall. There are about 1,500 irregularly spaced tombstones. Many of them date from the Baroque and Classicism periods, with the oldest dating back to 1688.
The original Jewish settlement in Dolní Kounice was located in the area of today's Růžová and Tovární streets, ie between the nobleman's residence - the castle and the Christian town. This location is typical of all Jewish communities. In an elevated position to the south, a synagogue was built in 1652, and further building development therefore took place in the block around it.
Author: the town of Dolní Kounice