Cathedral of St. Ducha Hradec Králové

A significant architectural dominant of the East Bohemian metropolis, the city of Hradec Králové, is undoubtedly the Cathedral of St. Ducha. At first glance, even complete lay people will be captivated by the combination of brick architecture and white sandstone used in portals and window sills. Inside the church of St. The remains of Jan Žižka from Trocnov were preserved in the spirit, which were later transported to Čáslav.

Cathedral of St. Ducha Hradec Králové

Information for visitors

Adress: Karla Tomana, Hradec Králové
GPS: 50.20880310, 15.83096890
Cathedral of St. Ducha Hradec Králové map

Interesting facts Cathedral of St. Ducha Hradec Králové

Thanks to the modifications that took place in Hradec Králové in the 18th century in connection with the construction of a military fortress, it is the Cathedral of St. Spirit is the only surviving medieval church in this city.

The church was founded in 1307 by Queen Eliška Rejčka. Shortly afterwards, a fire caught up with him, but repairs were soon made, and in 1360, two of its characteristic towers were built in the façade. During the Thirty Years' War, it was plundered by the Swedes and in 1664 by Pope Alexander VII. To promote it to a cathedral, in connection with the Hradec Králové diocese, which was founded here at this time.

The original Gothic style was changed mainly by the Baroque modifications of the church, carried out at the end of the 18th century. At the end of the 19th century, the church underwent extensive building modifications, during which all interventions that were not in accordance with Gothic were removed. The cathedral underwent the last major renovation during the 1970s and 1980s.

The total length of the building is 56 m, width 25 m and height 33 m. The height of the towers up to the ledge is 39.5 m.

The interior of the temple is three-aisled, with a central nave vaulted with cross vaults in four fields. The presbytery is pentagonal, long and there are two towers on its sides. The jewel of the church is the bar, bearing the oldest depiction of the city emblem from 1463.


Author: Andrea Štyndlová