Church of St. Ignáce Jičín
Originally a Gothic Roman Catholic church of St. Ignáce is located in the center of Jičín, near Valdštejn Square on Chelčického Street. In its place once stood a wooden church, while the foundation stone of the current church was laid in 1390 by order of Peter of Vartemberk.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Church of St. Ignáce Jičín
In 1572 and then in 1589, the church caught fire, followed by an expensive reconstruction, during which the church received a Renaissance vault on Tuscan columns held by Gothic footings. In 1614, the church was covered with a tent roof.
The original consecration of the church was to James the Greater, until 1623, when the estate fell into the hands of Albrecht of Wallenstein. The church of St. Jakub Větší together with the whole western part of Jičín he left to the Order of the Society of Jesus and the church was subsequently consecrated to St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuit order.
The interior of the church was renovated in 1627 and 1628, so it was in the spirit of the early Baroque. Until 167, the church also underwent building alterations, during which the western side of the sacristy was added. In 1681, when the church caught fire, a new nave had to be built together with the vault. At that time, God's tomb was also created, and in the first half of the 19th century, the furniture was replaced again.
In the back of the nave we find two original Baroque altars, the altar of St. St. Anne's and the altar of St. Jan Nepomucký. The main altar, together with the two side altars, are from the Neo-Gothic period.
In particular, the last three years have shown that the church of St. Ignatius hides interesting treasures, such as two paintings by Karel Škréta with motifs depicting St. Seconds and the Annunciation.
Author: Martina Limbergová