Basilica of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Svatý Kopeček near Olomouc
Just about 8 km northeast of Olomouc is Svatý Kopeček, a famous place of pilgrimage, the heart of the parish and the Baroque gem of the Czech Republic.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Basilica of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Svatý Kopeček near Olomouc
The place of pilgrimage is associated with the name of the Olomouc merchant Samuel Andrýsk, to whom the Virgin Mary allegedly appeared here in 1629, and he therefore decided to build a chapel on this place. The place used to be called the Holy Mountain and the chapel stood here already in 1633. It is said that miracles continued here after its construction. However, the place was damaged by the Swedes and rebuilt between 1650 and 1656.
The miraculous chapel attracted more and more pilgrims, and over time its size ceased to be sufficient for its purpose. The construction of the current Baroque Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary began in 1669 with the abbot of Hradiště, Norbert Želecký, and his consecration was carried out by Bishop Charles II. Liechtenstein, held in 1679.
The place was even visited by Pope John Paul II. and the church was elevated to a minor basilica. It happened in May 1995.
The Basilica of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary dominates the entire local region and is visible from almost every lookout tower in Olomouc. The Baroque basilica has two towers in the façade and is decorated with statues of the Twelve Apostles, St. Sebastian and St. Rocha. The entrance to the basilica is decorated with statues designed to symbolize generosity, rumors and hope, designed by Josef Winterhalder. The lower facade is decorated with statues of St. Augustine, Stephen and Norbert and in the upper facade we find a statue of the Virgin Mary and little Jesus.
The layout of the church is single-nave, it is equipped with two sacristies and through chapels around its perimeter. In the place of the transept (crossing the transept with the main) there is a dome decorated with frescoes from 1731, the author of which is Jan Kryštof Handke.
After the demolition of a nearby monastery, the connecting corridor of the monastery and the church was rebuilt, following the example of the Holy Steps in Jerusalem, which Jesus allegedly followed after Pilate of Pontius condemned him.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová