Church of the Exaltation of St. Crosses in Litomysl
Originally, this provost's church was built within the complex of the Augustinian monastery, which was founded in 1356 by John of Wednesday, Chancellor of Charles IV. The Augustinians were called here from Brno and the construction of the church was completed in 1378.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Church of the Exaltation of St. Crosses in Litomysl
In 1428, Litomyšl was besieged by the Hussites, the local monastery was destroyed and the parish belonging to the castle church of St. Clement. The remains of the destroyed convent are pointed out mainly by the part of the cross in the corridor in the southern part of the church, the chapel of St. Margaret and St. Josefa.
During the time when the owners of the local estate Kostková of Postupice were built, the southern vestibule was built and after the church was destroyed by fire in 1560, the church was provided with a wooden ceiling and was not vaulted until 1601. Subsequently, the western one (Manričina) was built. hall and renaissance portal. There was also the establishment of a school near the church, which functioned here until 1777.
In the second half of the 18th century, a baroque deanery building was built, and it is from this time that a large part of the church's equipment has been preserved, including the main altar, sculptural decoration, and the painting of the Exaltation of St. Crosses or images of the Way of the Cross. In 1806, the stone cross replaced the original wooden crucifix, and the staircase and terrace in front of the church also date from the early 19th century.
The church was partially regotized at the end of the 19th century, however, a radical reconstruction was originally planned, which fortunately never took place, and so the Church of the Exaltation of St. The crosses have preserved a number of valuable architectural and artistic details to this day.
In 1994, a collegiate chapter was established at the church, and in the years 1995-2000, an extensive renovation took place here. The church and the rectory received a new facade, paving, wall paintings were restored.
Church of the Exaltation of St. You can find the Cross in Litomyšl right next to the Monastery Gardens and not far from the Baroque Church of the Finding of St. Crisis.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová