Basilica and Monastery of St. Jiří Prague
Basilica of St. George at Prague Castle was established as the second church on this site and it is also the oldest surviving sacral building in Prague. The monastery, which is dominated by church marl towers, co-creates the silhouette of Prague Castle and, in fact, a characteristic panoramic view of our most famous and most visited castle.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Basilica and Monastery of St. Jiří Prague
Church of St. George was founded by the father of St. Wenceslas, Prince Wroclaw, in 920. Later, the building was expanded, a new chapel was built and in 925 this place was chosen to store the remains of St. Ludmila.
In 973, at the church of St. George founded the first Benedictine convent for women, whose first abbess became the sister of Prince Boleslav II., Mlada. Until the church of St. Vitus, served the Basilica of St. George to store the remains of Přemyslid princes, specifically until 1055. Tombstones of individual princes from the Přemyslid dynasty can be found today in the main nave.
In the space of the crypt, where a baroque staircase leads, there is a black statue of Brigita in the form of a dead girl's body, which is to symbolize transience. From the Romanesque period, the remains of a relief depicting the Madonna crowned by angels, kneeling abbesses Mlada and Berta and Přemysl Otakar I with their sister Anežka.
During the first half of the 13th century, the chapel of St. Ludmila with the tomb of this saint. The western facade dates from the middle of the 14th century, but today's appearance is the result of a later Baroque reconstruction. After the fire of 1142, which the Basilica of St. George was affected, the monastery was restored and two characteristic Romanesque towers with a total height of 41 m were also built. It is interesting that the floor plan of both towers is a little different. The width of the south tower is 6.3 m, while the north tower is only 5 m wide.
From the beginning of the 18th century, the chapel of St. was added to the church by František Maxmilián Kaňková. Jan Nepomucký.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová