Church of Our Lady Victorious Prague
At first glance, the Prague Lesser Town Church dedicated to the Virgin Mary the Victorious may seem quite ordinary to us, but it is only a deceptive impression. The walls of this important church hide a statue of the Infant Jesus of Prague, which people from all over the world come to honor.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Church of Our Lady Victorious Prague
The church dates back to 1611 - 1613 and the initiative is given to German-speaking Lutherans. From the beginning, the church was consecrated to the Holy Trinity, but in 1625 the consecration was changed to the Virgin Mary the Victorious and St. Antonín Paduánský. At this time also Ferdinand II. He entrusted the church to the order of the Barefoot Carmelites, whose monastery adjoined the church.
At present, the monastery no longer fulfills its original function and the buildings house the seat of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports.
The tower was built in 1625 and in 1664 a monumental facade of the church with a statue of the Virgin Mary with a child was built. Inside the church there are two chapels, which are separated by a golden lattice. On the right side is the chapel of the Virgin Mary with a glass cabinet, which houses a love statue of the Madonna, dating from 1626. On the left is the chapel of St. Crosses with the Infant Jesus of Prague, which was placed here between 1656-1776.
The main altar of the Church of Our Lady Victorious dates from 1717, has the shape of a triumphal arch and the statues depict St. John the Baptist, St. Theresa and the prophets Elisha and Elijah. At the top of the altar is a copy of the painting, depicting the Virgin Mary with Joseph and the shepherds above the manger.
The Order of Barefoot Carmelites was very strict and basically survived only from alms. So he often struggled with poverty, and at a time when the situation was probably the worst, Polyxena of Lobkovice gave them a statue of the Baby Jesus, saying that if the Carmelites worshiped it, their misery would end. The monks then prayed to the Baby Jesus every day and the words of Polyxena of Lobkovice came true.
A total of 47 cm high statuette depicts Jesus at an early age, dressed in a flowing shirt, with a delicate face and curly hair. According to the liturgical period, the statuette is changed into other dresses of four basic colors: white, purple, red and green. At the coronation, the statuette is wearing a royal dress and an ermine cloak.
People from all over the world come to the Church of Our Lady Victorious to honor the Baby Jesus of Prague, ask for healing, help or the birth of a child. The baby has a blessing gesture and his left hand holds a globe with a cross as a symbol of the whole world, resting in his hands.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová