Church of St. Václav Litoměřice
The Baroque church of the Orthodox ecclesiastical community, dedicated to St. Wenceslas, stands in Litoměřice on Wenceslas Square. It is a Baroque building, but its history began in 1363, when the church is first mentioned. During the Thirty Years' War, however, the church suffered considerable damage and was demolished.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Church of St. Václav Litoměřice
The construction of the new church began in 1714 and ended two years later, to be thankful to God for ending the plague epidemic. On September 28, 1716, the feast of St. Wenceslas, the first Catholic service was held in the church. Services here were canceled by order of the Josephine reforms, and the church served as a warehouse until September 28, 1852. On this day he was consecrated again.
In 1927, the church was adapted into a memorial to the victims of the First World War, and a year after the Orthodox Church began to be used in 1950, Eastern services were held here.
Church of St. Wenceslas is not big at all, he stands on the floor plan of a square with rounded corners. On the west side of the church there is a smaller presbytery and the facade of the church bears the handwriting of the builder Broggio.
The church is separated from the presbytery by an iconostasis, the author of which is Mikhail Adler Procenko from Crimea.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová