Babí Lom lookout tower near Lelekovice
Try the lookout tower at Babí lom and enjoy the view of the local landscape from the perspective of this building!
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Babí Lom lookout tower near Lelekovice
The concrete lookout tower is located in the southern part of Babí lom, about 1 km from Lelekovice to the north. It is also about 12 km north of the center of Brno. The lookout tower was officially opened on May 15, 1961.
The lookout tower is located at an altitude of 521 meters. Its total height is 15 meters and the viewing platform is located at a height of 12 meters above the ground. After climbing 46 steps, you will have a view of the Drahanská vrchovina, Brno, Ždánický les, Chřiby, Českomoravská vrchovina and Žďárské vrchy.
The lookout tower is freely accessible and open daily without restrictions.
The easiest way to the lookout tower leads directly from Lelekovice. They are located about 10-12 km north of Brno, by the road in the direction from Brno to Kurim. From Lelekovice, you can easily get to the lookout tower following the red tourist sign. This road is about 1 km long.
The current lookout tower at Babí loma is not the only one that has ever stood here. In the past, there were even two at once. In 1882, the Austrian Tourist Association built a lookout pavilion here, also called Ripkova vyhlídka. On the initiative of the same association, a beam lookout tower was built on the northern side of Babí lom. Both buildings fulfilled their function until World War II, when they disappeared.
Not far from here also stood the so-called Wieser's hut, which was to serve tourists as a shelter from bad weather and provide them with refreshments.
At the end of the 1950s, the Association of Physical Education demonstrated the restoration and position of the lookout tower at the southern end of Babí lom. The building was then designed by Ing. Mojmír Korvas from Brno. In the years 1959-1961, a concrete tower was built here, equipped with an observation deck. It officially began to serve its purpose on May 15, 1961. The peculiarity is that the building was built by the citizens of Lelekovice themselves. The building consumed 70 m3 of sand, 30 m3 of stone with lots of iron structural components. At the time the lookout tower was being built, everyone who went up the hill on a trip had to take a brick with them in their backpack.
One of the last repairs of the lookout tower took place in the autumn of 2006, when the concrete part of the lookout tower was repaired.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová