Studenec lookout tower near Česká Kamenice
Visit the Studenec hill and enjoy the view of the beauty of the Czech landscape from the local lookout tower!
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Studenec lookout tower near Česká Kamenice
The iron lookout tower has been located here since 1888, when it was first officially opened. It is located at an altitude of 736 meters and is located about 25 km from Decin in the east.
The lookout tower with a total height of 17 meters has an observation platform located at a height of 15.5 meters above the ground. A total of 75 steps will take you to it and the reward for their hike will be a beautiful view of the Jizera Mountains, the Lusatian Mountains, Ještěd, Bezděz, the Giant Mountains or the Czech Central Mountains.
Follow the blue tourist sign (and later the red one) to the lookout tower from the village of Líska. The red tourist sign will also take you here from the village of Studený.
The lookout tower is open freely daily and all year round without restrictions.
Studenec, a basalt hill near Česká Kamenice, has been bearing one of the oldest lookout towers in the Czech Republic since 1888. The first wooden lookout tower was built here by Count Kinský, the then owner of the local estate, as early as 1854.
The new iron lookout tower was created here on the initiative of the Mountain Association for Bohemian Switzerland. The lookout tower project was designed by Gustav Dittrich. The tower with a total height of 16.2 meters was first opened to the public on July 15, 1888. In 1893, Prince Kinský had a "Kinski Baude" or cottage with refreshments built for tourists, which also provided them with accommodation. The cottage burned down in the middle of the last century and today you can only see the remains.
Since 1938, the lookout tower has been used by the guard service, but has not been closed to the public. After more than a century of serving as a lookout tower, the imprint of time has left its mark on it and the structure has been damaged by corrosion. Its poor technical condition no longer allowed a safe ascent to the observation deck.
The company of friends of Děčín has been interested in its reconstruction since 1995, but at the building office in Česká Kamenice this proposal was misunderstood and the lookout tower was even to be demolished. However, just a day before the demolition, the demolition operations were suspended. The lookout tower was declared a technical monument. Unclear property relations only delayed the reconstruction and the condition of the lookout tower continued to deteriorate. Since 2007, the repair has been initiated by the Studený a Lipnice Civic Association, which established a bank account in which financial donations were deposited for the reconstruction of the lookout tower. In addition, it also issued special postcards in support of the reconstruction and a public collection was announced.
Reconstruction of the tower took place by cutting and with the help of a helicopter and relocation to the companies LANA Litoměřice and Aqua Žernoseky, where it was repaired. The dismantling took place on 17 and 18 September 2007.
In September 2008, the Czech Tourists Club concreted the foundation feet. The riveting of the structure took place on the playground in Česká Kamenice on October 30, 2008. After that, the first 16 steps to the new lookout tower were installed in Studenec. The transport of the lookout tower to Studenec was scheduled for December 2 and 4, 2008, but due to strong winds, the helicopter could not start, so this event did not take place until March 14, 2009. The total cost of reconstruction of the lookout tower climbed to 3 million crowns. The second grand opening in the history of the lookout tower took place on June 21, 2009.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová