Erben's lookout tower in Ústí nad Labem

Take advantage of the convenient location of the Erben Lookout Tower in the local part of Ústí nad Labem-Dobětice, take a trip and climb to the top! You will be rewarded with the feeling of Ústí nad Labem in the palm of your hand!

Information for visitors

Adress: Severní terasa, Ústí nad Labem
GPS: 50.67862600, 14.05089100
Erben's lookout tower in Ústí nad Labem map

Interesting facts Erben's lookout tower in Ústí nad Labem

This stone lookout tower is located on the Brand hill in Ústí nad Labem-Dobětice. It is located at an altitude of 420 meters and was first opened to tourists in 1933. A total of 56 steps lead to the observation deck at a height of 12 meters above the ground and has a nice view of the city of Ústí nad Labem, the Ore Mountains and the Bohemian Central Mountains. The total height of the lookout tower is 15 meters.

From the center of Ústí nad Labem you can get to Dobětice by public transport. From Dobětice, follow the green tourist sign along Šrámková Street, then along the blue Brandtova Street to the lookout tower.

The lookout tower is open every day from 9 am to 9 pm during the tourist season from May to the end of September. From October to the end of April, then from 9 am to 4 pm. The lookout tower is closed overnight.

At first glance, Erben's lookout tower may seem inconspicuous. It is a bit smaller, but it can boast a rich past!

The first lookout tower, which has stood on this site since 1889, was 20 meters high. Its baseboard was made of stone and the structure itself was made of wood. It bore the name of Emperor Francis Joseph I. And was founded on the initiative of the Association for the Bohemian Central Mountains and the Ore Mountains. However, the lookout tower did not last long, as it served tourists only for nine years. She collapsed after being damaged by a severe winter storm.

Another lookout tower didn't take long. She grew up here a year later. It had a beam construction that better withstood the local weather. However, she did not withstand the gusts of wind for too long and fell after five years. In 1911, this lookout tower was definitely destroyed by lightning.

The new lookout tower was not built here until 1933, again on the initiative of the Ústí nad Labem association. The stone tower was then renamed Erbenova. It was freely accessible, which may have been detrimental, as it often became the target of vandals. The lookout tower then went unnoticed for many years and was not repaired until the 1980s and 1990s.

In 2001, Eurotel planned to build a transmitter nearby, but their plans eventually fell through due to conservationists. In 2004, two proposals were submitted regarding the reconstruction of the lookout tower. The first promoted an increase with a stone superstructure and the second with a metal superstructure in the shape of the letter E. The second proposal was cheaper, and therefore it was considered mainly over it. However, it was later rejected, mainly due to the disagreement of the citizens and the Czech Tourists Club. In the end, one of the projects of architect Libor Čížek was selected and the lookout tower was increased by 7 meters in 2006.

At present, the lookout tower is operated by the Ústí nad Labem Municipal District Office - North Terrace. The lookout tower is owned by the city of Ústí nad Labem.

Author: Andrea Štyndlová