Regional Museum in Litomyšl
The Regional Museum in Litomyšl can be found on Jiráskova Street no. 133, on the castle hill. It is housed in the building of the former Piarist grammar school, and since the 1990s it has also included Bedřich Smetana's birthplace, located in the chateau brewery.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Regional Museum in Litomyšl
The foundation of the Litomyšl Museum dates back to 1891 and its focus was ethnographically on the area of Litomyšl and its surroundings. It was originally located in the building of the abolished kindergarten and from 1926 it moved to the mentioned building, which used to house the Piarist grammar school. This building was built between 1714 and 1718 and Alois Jirásek also worked as a teacher between 1874-1877 and 1882-1888.
The Municipal Museum was transformed into a regional museum in 2004 and is currently founded by the Pardubice Region.
In addition to historical collections, the museum's holdings include military collections, postcards, fine arts, sfragistics, numismatics, books and the collection of Quid Šimek, who worked in the museum. According to the Central Register of Collections, there are now 39,000 collection items in the Regional Museum in Litomyšl, but in reality their number is estimated at approximately 70,000.
From 1 July 2012 to the beginning of May 2014, the museum building is undergoing a general reconstruction, thanks to which the museum is closed to the public.
In addition to the permanent exhibition, RML has a number of exhibitions that are held here regularly, including the already organized Exhibition of Historical Strollers, the exhibition of the legendary Merkur kit and the exhibition of modelers.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová