Třebíč windmill

The town of Třebíč is quite a popular tourist destination. Here you will find not only the castle and the basilica of St. Prokop, but also a Jewish town and in the southwestern part of the town also an interesting technical monument, a windmill. It has several floors built according to the so-called Dutch type. We can find it near the railway line from Jihlava to Brno.

Information for visitors

Adress: Bartuškova 659, Třebíč
GPS: 49.21159360, 15.86738220
Třebíč windmill map

Interesting facts Třebíč windmill

The purpose for which the windmill in Třebíč was used is completely untraditional. Surprisingly, it was not for grinding flour, but for grinding spruce, oak and pine bark, which was then used in powder form by local tanners. The local skins were famous throughout the region and the consumption of bark was therefore really high. It was added to a special lye, in which the skins were then soaked and these were rid of unwanted components that would cause mold on the skin.

The bark was originally ground for tanners by millers from Třebíč, but it was a relatively large burden for them, given that their main task was to grind flour. The price for the groin (bark powder) climbed so high that the Budišov brothers decided to build their own bark mill. At that time, the brothers owned the largest tannery in Třebíč, and with the construction of the mill they touched the vanity of Třebíč millers, who were afraid that they would lose their income thanks to the construction of the mill, so they filed a complaint against the construction with the city council. They rejected their complaint as unfounded, and in the end the construction of the mill was also approved by the regional commission.

The mill was built in 1836 and has been an integral part of the town of Třebíč ever since. However, it served its purpose, ie grinding the bark, only for a period of fifty years, until this activity was provided by steam engines.

In 1934, the mill was adapted for living and the tenants lived in it until 1977, when it was necessary to carry out a reconstruction, during which it was restored to its original form.

Author: Andrea Štyndlová