Water hammer Dobřív
The water mill in the village of Dobřív is a technical monument, completely unique in the Czech Republic, supplemented by examples of period equipment. Hamr still works and its operation is provided by blacksmiths. The mill building is brick and dates from the early 19th century, when it was built on the site of older wooden mills, built in 1658 and 1701. The water mill still has rich machinery from the 19th century and can be found at the northeastern edge of the village Dobřív, near Huťský pond.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Water hammer Dobřív
The history of iron production in Dobřív dates back to the beginning of the 14th century and ends sometime in the middle of the 20th century. There were furnaces used for the primary production of iron from ores, smelting mills and blast furnaces or a poodle or rolling mill, and even a tool mill.
In the water mill in Dobřív, blast furnace pig iron was originally forged, from which rod semi-finished products were forged. After the steel technology was expanded and modernized, heavy forged tools have been produced in the hammer since the late 1960s.
Vodní hamr Dobřív is currently organizing an accelerated blacksmithing course for visitors, during which they will learn to forge under a small hammer. Those who complete the course will receive an apprenticeship certificate with the hammer emblem and the signatures of the local blacksmiths.
At present, the water mill in Dobřív is managed by the Dr. Bohuslav Horák in Rokycany, which provides a permanent exhibition in the mill, normal operation and the so-called Hamernický Day, which is held here every third Saturday in May. It includes various cultural events and especially the presentation of blacksmithing.
The local mill dates from the 16th century, but its appearance is the result of a reconstruction that was carried out in 1825-30. The water originally powered five wheels, now it is only four wheels that power the electric generator and machines. During the Thirty Years' War, the hammer even produced not only tools, but also cannonballs for soldiers. In 1724, the production of stud and nail goods began here, and after the Second World War, the production of plowshares and various tools took place here. The activity in the mill was terminated around 1956.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová