Starý Martin stole in Krupka

In the area of the Krupská district, the Svatý Martin adit used to be one of the most important old mining works. She opened the Lukáš vein, which was one of the longest and richest pewter ore veins ever. Mining began here during the 14th century and ended before the outbreak of World War II. The indicative length of the gallery was 2 km and in the Czech Republic and even in Central Europe it was the longest gallery.

Information for visitors

Adress: , Krupka
GPS: 50.69735690, 13.84678280
Starý Martin stole in Krupka map

Interesting facts Starý Martin stole in Krupka

History of the stole

The mining of the tin ore vein here began sometime during the 14th century, and historical sources mention this place for the first time in connection with the year 1482. The Krupský upper order speaks of the excavation and maintenance of the hereditary gallery of Dűrrholz. It was last mentioned in 1704 and currently serves to drain water from the Martin gallery.

For the first time in the Martin gallery, Lewald and Schiller, Mining entrepreneurs who became the owners of Krupské mines, minted in 1864. Tin ore mining took place here in 1922, when the operation was completely stopped. During the Second World War, recovery and mining were still taking place, and the excavation under the Mosquito Tower was also excavated as a reconnaissance work.

During the 1950s, mining was stopped and since 1956 the adit has not been open to the public.

In 1999, the reconstruction of the gallery began and the opening ceremony took place on September 15, 2000.

A tour of the Starý Martin stole in Krupka

At present, the Starý Martin adit is open to the public and allows its visitors to get acquainted with the method of excavating long mining works, with examples of differences in the reinforcement of mining areas, with mining technology and characteristic sections of the Lukáš vein and a collection of historical objects.

The great attraction of this place is the Source of Happiness and stalactite decoration.

The total length of the tour is about 45 minutes and the length of the route is about 1 km (there and back). There is a large car park directly opposite the gallery, and you can shorten the wait for the tour by seeing an exhibition of mining supplies and promotional materials.

Visitors are advised to wear sturdy shoes and warm clothing even during the summer months. Children under 5 years old are not allowed in the stole.

Author: Andrea Štyndlová