Did you know that there is a double castle in the Czech Republic? He is the only one and we will take you to him now. Come with us to the South Bohemian region to the town of Tábor.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Choustník Castle
Here are the ruins of a bergfrit-type castle, which was founded by Beneš of Choustník in 1262. His sons built two palaces and connected them with defensive walls in case of attack. Each was the owner of one castle, and therefore it is a so-called ganerbenburg, or double castle. Peter I of Rožmberk bought the castle from them and strengthened its defensive function. He built two advanced towers, Kokot and Sichrov. Kokot was a prismatic tower with a side of about 10 m, which stood on a rocky ridge. To date, only their ruins have been preserved. During the Hussite wars, the Rosenbergs imprisoned Hussite priests here. In 1596 Choustník was sold to Jiří Homut from Harasov and since 1614 it has been listed as desolate. In 1948 it was expropriated.
The vaulted cellar and especially the square tower, which serves as a lookout tower, has been preserved to the present day. It is a remnant of a larger southern palace. In the middle of the castle in the courtyard is a large castle well, in which, according to legend, there is a treasure.
The origin of the name of the castle and the village is explained by the legend of Bedřich Rudobradý. He had a daughter who fell in love with a beautiful squire, but Emperor Bedrich did not want their love. The lovers therefore fled and settled in the Tábor region, where they built a castle. After a while, the emperor missed his daughter, so he went looking for her. In order not to be recognized, he cut his rusty beard and had a fake beard added instead. After a long search, he came to a castle he did not know. He knocked on the gate and recognized his daughter. When he found out she was happy, he tore off his fake beard and reconciled with the children. According to the false beard, the castle was called fousáč, from which Foustník and subsequently Choustník emerged.
In the vicinity of the castle there are many hiking trails and bike paths, such as to the nearby nearby ruins of Kozí hrádek or the Kotnov tower, which is the only remnant of the town castle in Tábor.
Author: Marie Bukovinská