Approximately 65 km in the direction north of Prague we find Česká Lípa, a town which territorially falls under the Liberec region and through which the river Ploučnice flows. The historic core of Česká Lípa is located on its right bank. At present, the city consists of fourteen city districts and has a population of more than 38,000.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Česká Lípa
History of the town
Originally, Česká Lípa was a small fishing village, located around Ploučnice. At the end of the 13th century, however, there was a free transformation into a serf town, which in these times was still called Lipá, according to the castle Lipý, which was founded here at this time, and which gradually created a center for the whole area. The owners of the local estate were first the lords of Lipá and later the Berks of Dubá.
The settlement of Lipá was already of relatively great importance at that time, especially due to its strategic location at the crossroads of several trade routes. This is also why pottery, draperies, weaving and other crafts developed here.
During the Hussite wars, the development of the town was interrupted and in 1426 the Hussites conquered it. The new construction and architectural appearance of the city did not occur until the 15th and 16th centuries. Construction and reconstruction took place in the spirit of late Gothic and Renaissance. During the Thirty Years' War, the local estate was the property of Albrecht of Wallenstein, who did not hold it for very long, but an Augustinian monastery and a Latin school were built for him. Other owners of Česká Lípa were the Kounicová family, who owned it until 1848.
During the 17th and 18th centuries, the Baroque castle and the Baroque chateau were built in the town. Later, manufactories were established here, the most important of which was a workshop for textile printing - Českolipská kartounka, which became famous all over the world.
After the onset of fascism, the first Henlein demonstration took place in Česká Lípa in 1934, and after the outbreak of World War II, a period of terror began for the city, completely occupied by the German army. At that time, Česká Lípa was part of the Sudetenland.
Since May 1945, the original population has returned to the city.
Sights and interesting places
In the early 1990s, the historic core of the city was declared a city monument zone. We can find here, for example, the mentioned Augustinian monastery, the church of the Exaltation of St. Crosses or Church of Mary Magdalene. The ruins of Lipý Castle have also been preserved here to this day.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová