Frýdek - Místek
The town of Frýdek-Místek is located on both banks of the river Ostravice. Territorially it belongs to the Moravian-Silesian region and it is the river that creates the natural border not only between Frýdek and Místek, but also between Moravia and Silesia. Today, the city has more than 60,000 inhabitants and although it is known mainly for its machinery and textile industry, we can find a number of historical monuments and many interesting places.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Frýdek - Místek
History of the town
The first historical mention of this place is related to the personality of the Bishop of Olomouc Bruno of Schauenburg and to the year 1267. At that time, Friedeberg is described as a market village, which preceded the current Místek.
During the 13th century, Přemysl Otakar II. and Vladislav - Opole prince, the border between Moravia and the Opole principality was defined by the Ostravice river. Friedeberg was later destroyed during the strife in the 14th century, and a new town or Místko was later built in its place. Místek was annexed to the Frýdek estate in 1402.
The current Frýdek is mentioned in historical sources for the first time in 1305, when it was marked with the name Jamnice. At that time it used to be a settlement with a Gothic fortress, which was later rebuilt into a castle, under which the original settlement of Jamnice became the town of Frýdek.
In the 16th century, the local estate definitively broke away from Moravia and joined the Těšín region. In 1581, however, this was prevented by Bishop Stanislav Pavlovsky, who bought Frýdek-Místek and Místek and annexed it to the Hukvaldy estate, to which it belonged until 1850.
In the 19th century, industry developed significantly throughout the area, with smelters, ironworks and textile factories established. Of course, architectural construction is also connected with this. The National House, Sokol and Matice místecká were built.
On January 1, 1943, by a decision of the Nazi authorities, the two cities merged and were renamed Frýdek. In the period after the liberation of the republic, however, the name was changed to the current Frýdek-Místek, specifically on 1 January 1955.
Sights and interesting places
The most interesting landmark in Frýdek-Místek is the local castle from the 17th century, which underwent extensive reconstruction in the 18th century. Today, its premises are used for the exhibition of the exposition of the Beskydy and Pobeskydy regions.
It is definitely worth mentioning the National House in Palackého Street, which impresses with its impressive stucco decoration. Of the church buildings, the Church of Our Lady of Frýdek-Místek, the Church of All Saints or the Church of St. Jakuba.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová