In the area near the Eagle Mountains, in Eastern Bohemia and about 40 km southeast of Hradec Králové we find Vysoké Mýto, a town through which the river Loučná flows. About 12 and a half thousand people live here and it is worth a visit for many reasons.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Vysoké Mýto
History of the town
Vysoké Mýto was founded by Přemysl Otakar II. at the time of colonization in 1262. Its task was to create protection on the Trstenice Trail and for this purpose in 1265 strong walls were built around the city. Vysoké Mýto has a classic floor plan like perhaps all cities, founded by Přemysl Otakar II. The square is square, surrounded by a regular network of streets. Its importance increased even more when Wenceslas II. handed it over to his wife Eliška Rejčka.
During the Hussite battles, Vysoké Mýto was on the side of the chalice, and thanks to that, Sigismund granted him the status of a dowry town. In 1461 and 1517 the town caught fire, during which the church of St. Laurels and more than a hundred houses. Subsequently, new construction took place in the city, this time of stone.
The biggest blow to the town in the entire history of Vysoké Mýto was the Thirty Years' War, when a number of buildings were destroyed and many inhabitants paid with their lives. After the re-Catholicization, many evangelicals had to leave the city and Vysoké Mýto then remained almost depopulated. During the 18th century, the city was again hit by fire several times and, in addition, by a plague epidemic.
In the 19th century, Vysoké Mýto was connected to the railway and since 1849 it has been part of the Pardubice Region.
Sights and interesting places
It is undoubtedly interesting in Vysoké Mýto to visit the local museum and definitely also the church of St. Lawrence, rebuilt in the neo-Gothic spirit, as well as the Prague Gate, rebuilt between 1882 and 1883. In the interior of the church of St. Vavřinec features a painting of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary by Petr Brandl.
To the southwest of the town is the Košumberk castle and to the south of the town is the Nové Hrady chateau.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová