Pearl on the river Ohře - this is how it is nicknamed the town of Louny, which can be found in northwestern Bohemia, in the Ústí nad Labem region. Its location is also a kind of gateway to the Bohemian Central Mountains and can boldly boast mainly of its historic core.\
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Louny
History of the town
The original settlement, which was most likely originally called Luna, is mentioned in historical sources as early as the 12th century. During the 13th century, Přemysl Otakar II. not far from this settlement was built a royal city, occupying a strategic position on an important road from Prague to Saxony. Louny also crossed other roads that led towards Žatec and Cheb.
The important location of the town became the main reason why Louny became a very popular town at the royal court. Thanks to this, they also gained privileges and in the 14th century they were already famous for their hops and wine.
During the Hussite wars, the town was destroyed and from 1517, a major reconstruction took place here due to a fire that raged in the town that year. Another blow to Louny was the Thirty Years' War. The city joined the anti-Habsburg resistance, as a result of which it was looted several times. After the Thirty Years' War, the importance of the town declined, but it regained it in the 19th century. Industry developed here, the town was crossed by railways and roads, a slaughterhouse, a brewery, a tax office, a sugar factory were established, and the district office was also located here. As part of the new construction, entire districts with new houses were created in the city.
During the 1970s, however, the Žatec suburb was demolished and a panel housing estate was built in its place. Fortunately, the historic center was not affected by this unfortunate transformation.
Sights and interesting places
The most famous and probably the most valuable monument, which can be found in the town of Louny, is the church of St. Nicholas, built by Benedikt Ried, who is also buried in this church.
Another important monument is the church of St. Peter, the hospital with the church of St. Mary Magdalene, the late Gothic house of the Falcons of the Plague or the Baroque column of the Virgin Mary, whose author is J.J. Bendl.
To this day, the Žatec Gate, built in 1500, has been preserved from the original fortifications.
The colony of workers' houses from 1909, whose author is Jan Kotěra, is definitely worth mentioning and visiting Louny.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová