Palacky Bridge Prague
In the direction of the Vltava River, the Palacký Bridge is the sixth and at the same time the third oldest preserved bridge over the Vltava in the territory of Prague. It was built between 1876 and 1878 according to the design of Josef Reiter and Bedřich Műnzberger, and the operation began on December 22, 1878.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Palacky Bridge Prague
History of the bridge
During the 1970s, a communication problem was solved in Prague, namely how to connect the industrially developing Smíchov and the New Town of Prague. Although there has been a ferry in these places for centuries, it has long since ceased to suit these purposes. In 1871, a cooperative was established to build a new bridge over the Vltava River.
On May 13, 1876, in 1876, the foundation stone of the bridge was laid, the project of which was developed by Czech technicians Ing. Josef Reiter and architect Bedřich Műnzberger. The construction was completed in two and a half years, and for the first time pneumatically operated caissons from Ringhoffer were used.
The new bridge was named after the historian František Palacký and the opening took place more than twice. For the first time on Sunday, December 1, 1878, but subsequently it was closed again due to finishing stonework. It was opened for the second time in all silence on December 22 of the same year.
Architecturally, it was very refined. The length between the coastal pillars was 229 meters and its width was 11.4 meters, including sidewalks that are 1.58 meters wide. However, the passage profile of the bridge was not very wide and was criticized from the very beginning. The bridge was not extended until 1950-51, when its sidewalks were widened on both sides with reinforced concrete consoles, however, architecturally the concept of the bridge was preserved. However, due to the current traffic, the width of the Palacký Bridge is still a big drawback.
Between 1889 and 1897, sculptures by Josef Václav Myslbek were gradually installed on the bridge. On the side from Smíchov, Záboj and Slavoj, Ctirad and Šárka were located, and on the New Town side, Libuše and Přemysl, Lumír and Píseň. However, these sculptural groups were damaged by a raid by Allied aircraft in 1945, and were later restored and placed in Vyšehrad.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová